Monday 2 March 2015

Turning points

This week was full on, but mostly in a good way! I try to keep this blog to life outside of work, but to give a bit of context; I've been looking for a job since being made redundant at the end of last year. This week started out with one proper interview and two informal chats about possible roles on Monday; a workshop on CVs, interviews etc. on Tuesday; another "chat/interview" on Wednesday; a proper interview on Thursday; and finished with two job offers on Friday! In addition to this, Friday was audition day for Only Connect - which was great fun, but also quite nerve-wracking and added to my feeling of being "tired but wired" come Friday night.

Nutrition was also a big struggle again this week as I found myself reaching for sweet things and plenty of caffeine and struggled to make healthy choices. Something to focus on for me in March I think, as well as trying to get an earlier night wherever possible.

Back out running with club on Monday, the break seemed to have rejuvenated me and the run felt easier. All my running is recorded on Strava which I upload from my Nike+ watch so if you're on either of those and want to follow me there it would be great to connect with more runners. I was home too late to go to my Yoga class on Tuesday so just did a DVD at home, struggling a bit with the weights after a longer break. I'm not really following a training plan at the moment, just trying to focus on putting in the miles and occasionally doing a race or parkrun as a nod to speedwork. I had time to do a longer run on Wednesday but I was mindful of having a half-marathon scheduled as a tune-up race on Sunday, so 9 miles somewhere between steady and easy made sense. I love the run along the canal, although the smell of chocolate as I passed Bournville on Wednesday had me reaching for the Cadburys Fruit & Nut again when I got home!



I have found running really helpful whilst being out of work - it's given me some structure, something to focus on and I've been able to prepare for interviews too; just thinking through questions and how I might answer them. I also started to notice the signs that Spring is here this week as a few flowers are appearing on my runs and walks with the dog. I think this all helps me to feel more positive; that I'm reaching a turning point and good things are beginning to happen.

Thursday night's club run was a choice between reps and an easy run, and I took the easy option; mostly because I wanted to have a chat with one of my club-mates who I haven't had chance to catch up with much of late. We ran a version of one of the club runs but kept the miles to just five. Although I didn't want to taper specifically for the Half in Anglesey, I was conscious that with everything else going on I was feeling pretty tired, so my runs this week have all been fairly steady, just trying to enjoy it. Saturday's parkrun was also very much in this category. I've not been to Cannon Hill to run for a while, although I have volunteered there. It was nice though to run without any pressure and to say hello to some friends who were running or volunteering. Afterwards I drove to Wolverhampton to collect my Mom and then on to Rhyl to stay with my Auntie who lives there. We used to spend quite a bit of time in Rhyl in the summer holidays but it's probably been 10 years since I have been there. Apparently Conwy has a lovely new parkrun though and is just down the road, so I will add it to my parkrun tourism list and return for a visit soon.

On Sunday morning I got up at 6am and drove to the Menai Bridge for the Anglesey Half Marathon, which I've covered in a short race report here. I then had a long drive back via Wolverhampton and finished off with a chip-shop tea! I'm sure it isn't the best recovery from a race, but it's all about balance and I finished the week feeling much more positive. Onwards and upwards!







No comments:

Post a Comment