Monday 6 April 2015

A step closer

Another week closer to marathon and technically I've entered the taper. I feel that a longer run last weekend would have been a better end to my training but I have to put that behind me now; it's too late to do anything about it and certainly too late to be doing anything like the long runs that would have been okay just a week ago. 

This was another week that didn't start well. I wasn't alone in wimping out of the planned club run on Monday, tackling the easier Pebble Mill route rather than Harborne Hills. It's less than a week ago but I don't really remember anything about how it felt, other than enjoying a chat but feeling a bit sluggish. The weather was pretty horrendous in the first part of the week and I drove up North on Tuesday feeling quite tense because of the wind and rain. I had a tenderness in my stomach since the previous week and began to feel gradually worse as Tuesday progressed; by the afternoon I felt really lousy so I had an early night instead of running, enjoying the "minor social media celebrity" status afforded by my appearance as Unbound's parkrunner of the week. Unbound is a new website and I was first to be interviewed in this new slot.


parkrun #100 Christmas 2015

On Wednesday I felt a bit better in the morning and by the evening I felt ready to tackle a short run. The weather was still strange and as I was in the accomodation at work I thought I'd manage a few miles on the treadmill. I much prefer running outdoors, and I've never really seen the point of gym membership, but I quite enjoyed the ability to set my pace; perhaps one treadmill run each week would be good for speedwork? I did 5 miles at various paces, listening to the last ever parkrun show podcast. I will write another blog soon on what parkrun means to me but the show has been a big part of the experience and feeling part of the wider community; I'm really going to miss it.

Thursday's club session was continuous hills, and as often happens, I thought I'd just jog round but ended up putting a bit of effort in anyway! I still didn't feel great so I was only a little bit disappointed at falling quite far behind those I'm usually able to stick with. I know it's important to listen to your body but mine is being really loud at the moment in telling me how unhappy it is. At least it is more of a stomach issue and my niggly ITB/knee seems (touch wood) to be easier.

As it was Good Friday and I knew Easter Sunday would be out for training, a few of us went for a longish canal run in the morning. It was drizzly and a bit cold but I covered 12 miles in lovely company and retired my trusty silver Asics Gel Cumulus at the end of the run. 



Easter weekend is certainly a good one to start a bit of carb-loading and I've been tucking into hot cross buns and chocolate as well as having a few drinks and meals out with Guy. Saturday's parkrun was very much a recovery run, having a chat with a club mate who I haven't seen much of recently. We had some good friends to stay over on Saturday and it was nice to have a lie-in on Sunday and an easy morning, although I must confess to a bit of "runvy" as I started hearing about everyone's last long runs (for those training for London marathon which is a week after mine in Manchester). 

Two weeks to go now and they'll be a busy couple of weeks with work. I'm getting the usual nervous jitters already and strange phantom aches and pains, but I'm also getting very excited. It would be great to hear from you if you're reading this and also marathon training or tapering - what are your hopes and fears? What do you enjoy about tapering and what do you hate? You can follow me on Blogger, Bloglovin' or subscribe by email and look me up on Twitter where I'm @stakka79 or Instagram; @stakkalee79.



No comments:

Post a Comment