Monday 20 April 2015

Greater Manchester Marathon, 19/04/2015

Race day mornings are strange. I'd not had the best night's sleep, confused by the blackout curtains in the Altrincham Travelodge, I kept waking up and looking at my watch. I woke up properly just before my 5:45 alarm and my eyes felt tired but otherwise I was okay. 

I was nervous getting ready, and pleased I'd laid everything out and attached my race number the night before. I met the rest of the Harriers in reception at 7am where a mini-bus had been arranged to collect us after the news the previous evening that there had been an overhead line failure on the tram line. It was back up and running but we decided to stick with plan B anyway.



We arrived at the race village in plenty of time for loos, baggage etc. although it was really quite cold, especially compared to Saturday's weather, and we were all shivering whilst waiting around, we were glad it was overcast at least for the start. The starting area was a bit confusing, and I expect a lot of people lined up well ahead of their expected times, perhaps aware from previous encounters that the first couple of miles are a bit narrow for the volume of runners (especially in the "peak" zone of runners expecting to finish between 4 and 4.5 hours, where I found myself). I'd made a decision to run with my friend Clare Mullin and we'd agreed on 9:30minute mile pace with a plan to push it if we felt up to it later.

There was a little group of us to begin with but within a mile or so Clare and I were settled in just behind the 4hr 15 pacer, feeling pretty comfortable and enjoying the opportunity to look out for teal vests on the switchback sections. It was much more congested than I expected and a few times I wasted energy trying to get past slower runners or finding myself in an early mêlée for the water station, or the loos that seemed to be required far too early by some runners! I was enjoying it though and it felt familiar - almost like the first few miles of the Birmingham Half.

At around about the 8 mile marker I voiced the concern that the blister that hadn't properly recovered from the Ashby 20 was feeling a bit sore. Clare's advice? "You won't be able to feel your feet after 20 miles so don't worry!" She was about right and apart from the awareness of it I barely thought about it until removing my shoe later.

Apart from the first mile (which was just over 10 minutes) we stuck pretty close to 9:30mm. I really enjoyed running with Clare; it was her home territory and I think her fifth marathon so she was a reassuring presence in more ways than one. The route wasn't the most scenic but it was varied with the race village at Old Trafford and passing through Salford Quays and the studios there, before heading out through Stretford, Sale and Timperley towards Altrincham. The out and back sections were enough to give the opportunity to see both the fastest runners at the head of the field on the way out, and the less speedy runners on the way back, but without too much repetition. There were areas where the course felt too narrow for the volume of runners and we saw more than one runner come a cropper on a poorly positioned traffic cone!

The support along the course was excellent, with each area competing for the best entertainment; bands, school children and a gospel choir kept us going. There were also some great motivational signs - my favourite being the guy with a "Touch here for power!" sign giving out high-fives! The water stations came round quickly, with small bottles (easier to drink than cups but not as wasteful as the large bottles) and energy gels too. 

We saw Simon Newman on his way back as we passed through Timperley the first time, he seemed to be doing well and was in a pack with the 3:30 pacer - bang on target. As we reached Altrincham and the half-way point it was nice to be in the familiar area where we'd spent the previous evening, and the support was fantastic too! We still felt okay and I wondered whether to push the pace on, but decided to stick with it as we headed out on the loop that took in some nice villages and even a bit of countryside. 

We'd lost the 4:15 pacer - he'd gone off into the distance at about 16 miles and we thought we'd give ourselves a couple of miles to catch him. Somewhere between here and 18 miles Clare and I were separated - I was so focussed on the flag ahead that I didn't notice until too late. I pressed on with the pace and noticed that I was actually enjoying myself. I felt comfortable (too comfortable?) and began to realise that I was going to finish in a reasonable time.

I had a plan to take my gels at 5, 10 and 15 miles and then see how I felt. I took the other two at 19 and 22.5 miles and I think that worked really well for managing my energy levels, which were pretty consistent. Any slowing in the final few miles was as much to do with the slight incline and head-wind as anything I think. I was tired, of course, but I didn't feel like stopping at any point.

When things felt tough I thought about my family and friends - this was both deliberate - a tribute to the people who mean most to me, to think of them and take heart from their presence with me; but was also triggered by things I saw and heard along the course. My mind was drifting around but I kept coming back to the feeling of something that is best described as gratitude; just to be there, to be part of something big and to finally be achieving something that had at times seemed beyond reach.



Passing the 20 mile mark I smiled at the thought that the rest of the race was all uncharted waters for me. Every step was further than I had run before. So often you hear that the race really begins at this point, but psychologically I just felt stronger, knowing that I was going to finish in another hour or so. Around me people were flagging. Some started to walk, or slump. I focussed on my form, trying to stay "tall and light". I counted Cocker Spaniels number 7 and 8 - a record for me in a race (I like to count dogs while I'm out running - that's normal, right?)

The mile markers weren't accurate and as I wasn't paying attention to anything much, for ages I knew I was over 21 miles but not quite 24, vaguely aware that I had about "a parkrun" left. I saw Fergal from Cannon Hill parkrun and he told me I had two miles to go. The next mile was a blur, people kept stopping suddenly in front of me. Then someone said there was a mile to go. 

The 4:15 pacer reappeared at the side of the road, grinning at me. The wind picked up and I felt like I was going backwards. The sun came out and I wondered if I was hallucinating! I could see Old Trafford one minute and the next it was gone. Then, suddenly we turned a corner and the finish line was there and the noise was incredible. The clock said 4:16-something. Could I get under 4:17 on the clock and therefore under 4:10? I pushed. My legs sprang to life... I reached the chip mat and crossed it smiling (at least my brain was smiling but my facial muscles might not have got the message). 

Space blanket, thank you. Medal? Huge, Thank You! Goody bag, small t-shirt? Yes please! Chocolate protein shake? Yes, don't mind if I do. Chilled beer (non-alcoholic) - that's the best beer I've ever had - THANK YOU!! 



Almost immediately I found my running club buddies, those that had already come through had all had good races, PBs or the times they were after. Our fellow Bournville Harriers had been tracking us online and I had the good news that my chip time was 4:09:36. I called Guy, my eyes full of tears. I called my Mom "yes, I did it. I love you!" The others came in - Clare, my comrade, with a huge hug, having bagged a big PB. We shared our stories and posed for the post-race pictures.

The Travelodge had been kind enough to allow us to use a room beyond the usual checkout time. It was nice to change into fresh clothes for the journey, but the true horror of my blistered foot was quite a shock! It didn't hurt much but it looked hideous. I felt surprisingly good though and enjoyed the post-race glow in the company of really good friends.

Postscript:
Two days later I feel okay, but my legs still feel disconnected from my body. My foot isn't painful but I doubt I will be wearing sandals any time soon!
I've questioned whether I could have put myself on the line more; got closer to 4 hours, and concluded that I could, but I'm glad I didn't. I wouldn't swap that feeling of finishing strong and happy just to be running for anything (but I have started to look for an Autumn marathon...)




No comments:

Post a Comment