Sunday 12 April 2015

Taper, taper, taper!

It's strange looking back over my training since the start of the year; apart from the occasional week where through illness I've not been able to train, 30+ miles, often 40+ has been the norm compared to my usual training where I would typically hit 25 miles on a good week. As I'm now tapering I've been reducing the mileage but maintaining the frequency; five runs this week but a total of "just" 22 miles, less than the amount I will run in one day next Sunday in Manchester.

I started the week with a pretty typical Monday night club run; nothing spectacular but a nice Bank Holiday evening following some lovely weather and a bit of retail therapy. On Tuesday I drove up north for work and decided to do a short run on the treadmill - I'm warming to the treadmill and the opportunity to manage my speed, so I did a bit of a progression run, but my stomach was playing it's tricks again so after half an hour I gave up (probably just as well, given the tapering!)

On Thursday night I wasn't intending to do the club reps but I got swept along and actually had quite a lot of fun - we were doing shuttle runs with strength exercises (squats, lunges, planks etc.) between each set. I didn't push it on the runs but I did enjoy doing something a bit different and we had a laugh. Overall it was only about 3 miles of running and that was quite enough. 

I'd foolishly put myself forward for B team duties at the National Road Relays on Saturday, and was regretting the decision but we had a full team so I decided that I would run but definitely NOT RACE! There was a strong field as you would expect but it seemed small and not many clubs had put out B teams. They'd introduced two long legs at the start (around 5 miles each), but with my marathon being close I was down to do one of the shorter ones, which was the same as the recent Midlands relays at just under 5k. We were already in last place when I began my leg, and with no chance of making up any places it was quite easy to stick to a pace that was "easy" (can someone explain why it never feels easy to run easy though?) With last leg runners occasionally passing me (and people on their warm-downs too!) I did marvel at these super-human creatures who are able to get so much more from their mixture of skin, bones, muscle and organs than I can, but there was great camaraderie as always and I do think there's something to be said for representing even if you can't really compete.


A sunny yet windy day at Sutton Park for the National Road Relays.

On Sunday I had a pace to stick to at a local 10k, the Ronnie Bowker race at Cannon Hill park, which I've written about here. Having had a sports massage on Friday I'm pleased to say that the knee issue that seems to have plagued the last few weeks has abated, and apart from the odd twinge (probably psychological) and slightly worrying tummy troubles (probably stress-related) I'm feeling about as good as I have done for a few weeks now... The taper must be working on the physical side.

To the mental aspect; no matter which way I look at it 26.2 miles is a heck of a long way. I've tried chunking it down in my mind but still it looms large and intimidating. And yet, people do this all the time! If you look at my Facebook or Twitter feeds you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a normal activity, but perhaps the very fact that we all want to share in it, compare notes etc. is because it is just bloody huge and scary. 

It reminds me of exams at school - how much revision have you done? Have you tried this or that? If we don't know it now we never will etc. etc. There's a comfort in sharing it all but we can also freak each other out with all the talking. Even writing a blog, I'm conscious I'm contributing to the marathon chatter, but I'm consuming it all too. In an effort to remain calm ahead of next Sunday I'm focussing on the following thoughts:

1) It's just another race. Yes, it's the furthest I've ever run, but once upon a time that was true for 5k too!
2) I've trained well and consistently. Not perfectly, but whoever managed that?
3) There will be other opportunities to do this and do it faster. Nothing silly now. No heroics. Get round, stay sensible.
4) I'm going with my mates, we're in it together, we will support each other through it.
5) It's going to be fun!

This time next week it will be done - stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Looking at the Robin Hood marathon later in the year...being a nature lover I die a thousand deaths of boredom on treadmills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I totally agree! I much prefer a run outdoors. Unfortunately I'm away with work a couple of nights a week and it isn't safe to run where I am at night (although now the nights are lighter it will be easier, and I'm looking to join a second claim club up there too). I've just been "making do" with the dreadmill!

      Delete