Sunday 23 February 2014

Bistro 1847, Birmingham - 20th February 2014

Among the many things my husband, Guy and I disagree upon is vegetarian food. He's a chef and a bit "old school" so whilst he's been very supportive during my eight-ish years of avoiding meat (but eating the odd bit of fish), he has continued to eat meat in substantial quantities and not particularly adapted his own diet. As he does the vast majority of cooking at home and doesn't seem to mind cooking two different meals we rub along fine, but before Thursday evening I'd never managed to convince him that it is perfectly possible to forego flesh without missing out on flavour.
We had a "Living Social" deal for Bistro 1847 (named after the year that the Vegetarian Society was founded, but otherwise not heavily advertised as a veggie restaurant) and as I had my sports massage earlier that day I would have been missing my usual run in any case. The restaurant is located in the Great Western Arcade, which is pretty deserted on a weekday evening, but there were a few other occupied tables in the stylish, minimalist restaurant. 
We were warmly welcomed and enjoyed a glass of prosecco whilst we contemplated the menu, which for once offered me a real choice of dishes, and I remembered the enjoyment of having the whole menu available to me. The "nibbles" we started with - gin-marinated pineapple and blacksticks blue cheese got us in the mood for some inventive cooking, but the flavours were tried and tested, rather than creative for creativity's sake.
Guy began with fried aubergine and mushroom croquettes, whilst I opted for "the most fun you can have with cheese" to start. It was one of those occasions where we just had to share, through wanting each other to experience the taste we were each raving about. My cheesy creme brulee style pot with dippy bread soldiers was so delicious I was tempted to scoop out every last drop with my finger, but managed to contain my baser instincts! My main meal choice, "the great British fish and chip shop", was a real winner, with Halloumi (or you could choose tofu for a vegan option) doing a sterling job of being more than just a capable substitute for the fish. Guy had a hens egg, with crispy potatoes and vegetables, and again the dish delivered on flavour and style.
We finished with two of the nicest puddings I've tasted in some time, from a choice of three, all of which I would happily have chosen. My "drunken mess" contained ginger nuts, meringue, bananas and almonds, all of which would feature on my list of foods to take to a desert (or should that be dessert?) island. Guy chose the chocolate and ale cake which was wonderfully moist and moreish and we both left feeling there were other dishes we'd like to return to on a future visit.
Taking aside the voucher offer, the prices were reasonable and there was a good selection of wine and beer to accompany the meals. Sadly, as it was a school night, I didn't sample the cocktail menu, but it certainly looked full of promise.
Guy left the restaurant with a much more positive outlook on veggie food, and I left feeling that all chefs should be encouraged to dine at Bistro 1847, I think we'd benefit from a little of this type of creative thinking in all Britsh restaurants, taking the best of ingredients and really bringing out their flavour. We'll definitely be making a return visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment