Sunday 8 March 2015

Logging the miles

After Sunday's half marathon tumble I woke up on Monday feeling very aware of my elbow. It was slightly swollen and felt hot to touch and I couldn't lean on or use my arm fully. I had a fairly easy day, catching up with some washing, writing my blog and trying not to worry. I was looking forward to Monday night's club run as so many of my club-mates had been competing over the weekend and many were celebrating PBs so there was a great atmosphere. A few of us decided to run one of the club routes in reverse which was enjoyable, but I was later reminded that there can be safety issues related to running in groups on untested routes.

On Tuesday I would have liked to do some strength work but even just doing a bit of housework was aggravating my elbow so it's another week without any weights being lifted. I did make it to my Yoga class in the afternoon though, just missing out anything involving putting weight on my arm and focussing on my kneecaps (yes, really! Occasionally in Iyengar Yoga we become very aware of parts of the body that are oft overlooked).

On Wednesday I was going to meet an ex-colleague for lunch, but I was also planning on going to Wolverhampton to see my mother-in-law in the afternoon so I suggested meeting him for a run and a coffee in the morning instead. Having friends who run is great for meeting up and fitting in training with a social life too. I ran to Cannon Hill park (3 miles) where we met up and then continued on along the Rea Valley route and back to the mac for a further 6 miles or so. This was perfect for me; a longish run after the weekend's effort, but also suited him; a faster runner but not training for anything in particular, just happy to get a few miles in. The coffee and teacake afterwards was a nice guilt-free treat too. I was also trying out some new kit on this run, which I reviewed here.

On Thursday I enjoyed a bit of shopping for a change in Solihull. Thinking ahead to returning to work I even bought a lunchbox for my healthy lunches I'm planning to take. I sometimes find it easier to make healthy choices if I make them fun - this Happy Jackson box is just waiting to be filled with raw fruit bars, nuts and veggie wraps!



I decided to do the club reps session which was pyramid hills on Thursday, having run out of excuses (I've got a race at the weekend etc.) for avoiding speedwork. I do want to get faster, but sometimes find it mentally draining to keep putting in the effort week after week. With five weeks to go until Manchester Marathon, I think a few reps sessions could make a difference even at this late stage, but my focus will continue to be the longer steady runs and keeping the mileage up. Pyramid workouts are those where the efforts get progressively harder or longer and then reduce gradually back down again. In this case we were running uphill efforts with recovery downhill back to the start point, running to the first lamppost then the second etc. up to the 6th marker then back "down the pyramid" (6th marker, 5th and so on). I really enjoyed this session! Although the total distance seems like nothing compared to a typical run, the feeling of running hard is great... Why do I sometimes forget that and talk myself out of the sessions?

On Friday we received the news that we had not passed the Only Connect auditions so wouldn't be going through to the TV rounds. It was fun taking part up to that point though, and my TV quiz dream isn't over for good!

Friday was also a rest day, just enjoying a walk with the dog in the spring sunshine before getting ready for our club awards night. I was very excited as I missed awards night last year and I love the social events. Being part of a club has been fantastic for me on many levels, both in terms of running but also the great friends I have met. Running with someone else is a bonding experience; in life we're all so busy that it is rare to spend an hour talking to a friend or family member, and yet I share runs of that length with club mates a few times a week - no wonder fast friendships are forged! The awards night was good fun and acknowledged some of the great performances but also individual improvements and participation of Team Tealers. I was pleased to be nominated for an award for Endeavour (which I joked was running club speak for "slow but enthusiastic"), but not surprised that the award deservedly went to a team mate who races most weekends in some really tough events, mainly off-road. I had won one of the Teal Target events (winners chosen based on runbritain rankings) last year, but wasn't expecting a prize for that, and also received a medal for being a nominee; as you can see I was rather pleased to take away some "bling" from the event.



On Saturday morning I toyed with taking Jess to parkrun at Cannon Hill but decided to give it a bit of a go instead. I wasn't expecting a PB after the wine and curry at the awards and given how busy CHP is these days, but I thought it would be good to have more of a tempo run. I was disappointed with my time of 25:50, but pleased that I hadn't made excuses and jogged round, especially as my thoughts were turning to Sunday's long run. I had an afternoon nap on Saturday which is really rare for me, but perhaps an indication that the extra miles are starting to catch up with me.

This morning's long run loomed like a race rather than an LSR... I felt a bit nervous, partly because I'd suggested the route but also because it was to be my longest run (I planned a minimum 18 miles, but others were talking 18.5 plus). We decided to run along the canals into town and round to the Cole Valley route through The Shires country park, which I have run through in the past and makes a pleasant change. I do prefer a loop to out-and-back runs; for some reason they feel like more of an achievement, but they're also more interesting. Unfortunately I didn't really know how to stick the two parts of the route together and was relying on a combination of my smartphone, signage and my fellow runners. We ended up taking one diversion and a second unnecessary extra loop which in total added about 2 miles to the planned route which had come out at 17.5 miles. The signage did not help...




So we did get a little bit lost, but I loved the route for the change of scenery and I especially enjoyed the company and positivity of the others. 19.5 miles around Birmingham, virtually all along canal towpaths and cycle routes through varied urban landscapes. 

Last week I reflected on how useful running had been while I've been "between jobs". This week I've also considered that having some time off work has really enabled me to put some extra miles in during this training cycle and that opportunity is now coming to an end. I am full of genuine admiration for anyone who goes on this marathon journey with jobs and families that demand so much more of their time. It's hard work, but everything worth doing is!

No comments:

Post a Comment