Sunday 17 May 2015

Close but no cigar!

A quick write up then for the last week or so of training. Monday's run was the Cannon Hill route from club. It's nice getting back to the summer routes but I'm having to remember to spray the insect repellent before the run... I'm really not designed for warmer weather, I burn easily, get hayfever and react badly to insect bites; in spite of this I like the summer months, the lighter evenings and the opportunity to run in parks and along the canals of Birmingham with club.

I made it to my Iyengar yoga class on Tuesday for the first time in months. I'm enjoying my new job but I am struggling to fit my ideal workout schedule in around the job and the amount of travelling. I really enjoyed the yoga class but felt quite sad that I'd let my yoga slip so much - it always feels like a long struggle to get back the strength and flexibility. My arms, that I'd been pleased with a few weeks ago, have started to look less toned; from baby-guns to bingo-wings in no time!

I entered the Notts Summer Series Race 1 on Wednesday and blogged about the race hereThis was the first of two occasions this week (and the second of three if you count last week's parkrun) where I've felt close to my best but not quite getting there!

I made it back in time for club on Thursday and one of my favourite sessions; Kenyan Hills in Cotteridge Park. It's a great session with a sufficiently long and steep hill to feel like a good workout but without being so hard as to seem ridiculous. I really like the park (although I've heard that it can be a bit dodgy - I've never seen that side of it). Most of us were holding a bit in reserve for the Masters Road Relays but I ran with some faster runners and felt like I'd had a reasonably good session after Wednesday's race.

I took a complete rest day on Friday although my original intention had been to do some weights or Yoga. I just ran out of time with quite a bit of work to do. The foam roller is also staring at me accusingly and the odd bit of tightness in my legs is a reminder that I'm once again making the mistake of fitting in the running but not a lot else.

Saturday was British Masters Road Relays day and a relatively early start as they'd put the ladies and the "very mature" men on at 10:30am to spread the numbers out. I was glad of this as I was going to the Foodies Festival in the afternoon so was happy to go first leg and get away on time. For one reason or another I'd been bumped up from the W35 C team to the B team; this puts a bit of pressure on - knowing I'd be the slowest of my team but wanting to justify my promotion with a result at least as good as my colleagues in the C team. I knew the course would be short of 5k but there or thereabouts so relatively easy to pace. Going off first added extra pressure but also gave me an advantage in being with Jude and Rachel in our W45 and W35 C teams respectively. I've never caught Jude in a race but she's been within sight of me in the past and I thought it would be good to keep her there again if I could. Rachel is a similar pace runner to me and we've pushed each other to achieve good results before. I found myself in a Jude and Rachel sandwich which spurred me on to a time of 24:05. I was quite pleased with it at first and I'd worked hard, but again I didn't quite catch Jude and would have dearly liked the result to begin with a 23... Unfortunately in spite of two pretty good performances this week my runbritain handicap continues to travel in the wrong direction and I'm back at 16 having been at 15 at the start of the year. I'm clearly going to have to find a new gear to improve it.


Me feeling pleased with my t-shirt; a bargain at 2 for £6.

Sunday's run was a lovely 8.5 miles from the Peacock with three friends from club while a lot of others were enjoying a day off or racing. We took a fairly hilly route (no other option from the Peacock), but it was steady, in beautiful sunshine for most of the run and with plenty of stops for photos and just to enjoy the scenery! A great way to finish a reasonably good week of running and a reminder that it's not all about the times.


1 comment:

  1. I'm out of the running game for a little while, due to a catalogue of strains - groin, stomach, thigh, picked up from saturday cricket the last couple of weeks...not used to hurling myself sharply after the ball.

    Got some horrific bruises too!

    ReplyDelete