Tuesday 2 June 2015

Two weeks, two races

I've found myself a bit busy over the last two weeks, both with work and outside of work so I haven't had chance to blog as I would have liked to, especially as I raced twice so would usually have written a couple of race reports. I'll try to remember enough of the last couple of weeks though to update on how the training is going.

I flew to New York on Monday 18th May for a few days in the office on Long Island. By the time I arrived and got to the hotel I was tired so had an early night and got up early (although it was 10 o'clock UK time) on Tuesday for a run on the treadmill in the hotel's gym. I managed half an hour or so, alternating pace and incline. I still don't enjoy running on a treadmill so I try to keep it interesting by varying the pace. I seem to sweat even more than usual running indoors so I find it quite off-putting. Does anyone else have that problem? I was listening to a great podcast though, one that I've been enjoying on and off for a while; the Freakonomics podcast. It's given me an idea to write a blog soon on the podcasts I enjoy.

I really wanted to run outside whilst I was in the U.S. and I'd heard there was a trail about a mile away from the hotel. I headed out in the direction I'd been given but couldn't find the trail and ended up having a rather unsatisfying run along the highway with the smell of petrol fumes and the noise of traffic for company (along with Martin & Tom of Marathon Talk, continuing the podcast theme!) 

I got back to the UK on Friday morning and tried to get a full day's work done, catch up on stuff at home and then we had plans for dinner so no time for running. I figured it wouldn't matter having two days off; I was looking forward to parkrun on Saturday though...

The alarm went off on parkrunday and I felt like I'd been run over. We'd had a few drinks on Friday night but I've got up and done parkrun after more than that. I put it down to jet lag, but I really wasn't expecting to feel so tired. I started to panic as we were going to visit family for the weekend and I knew I wouldn't be able to run for the rest of the day or on Sunday because we had plans. Non-runners find it strange when you describe the worrying feeling when you can't run for a few days for whatever reason, but it really gets to me - I know other runners understand! 

I couldn't properly shake the tiredness all weekend but I enjoyed the catch up with family and we saw a show; The Commitments, in London on Sunday night which was great fun. My niece, Sarah and I were running in the Bupa London 10,000 on Bank Holiday Monday and both looking forward to it.

The weather on Monday was perfect for a picnic, unexpectedly warm and sunny. The race is huge and well-organised with a great atmosphere and I was excited to be running. I reckoned a PB was probably not on the cards but wanted to improve on my Great Birmingham 10k time. Unfortunately I nearly missed the start, needing a last minute loo visit and still standing in the queue with two minutes to go before the start. I made it though to my wave and got chatting to a lady from West Bromwich Harriers. We set off along the Mall but the first mile or so was quite congested, so I didn't get the start I was after. Things didn't quite click but I just focussed on keeping going as best I could, enjoying the occasional respite of a bit of breeze. I enjoyed the course and in most areas the support was superb, although there was a stretch from 8-9miles where it was really quiet. I completed the race in 52:01, which was the same as my PB for ages back in 2012 and 13 - funny how it now seems a bit disappointing, and as expected it didn't give a boost to my runbritain handicap either. Never mind, it was a fun day and I got a lovely medal and t-shirt as well as a day out with my niece and some of the other BvHers who'd made their way down.

On Tuesday I managed a surprisingly good pace on my 6 mile Kings Heath loop, and I really, really enjoyed the run; feeling like a different person to the one who went out as I often do. 

I missed club on Thursday to go to dinner with Guy instead - a "No Rules" night with Nomad, Birmingham which turned out to be at the Kitchen Garden Cafe in Kings Heath. We had a great night though, probably (definitely) too much to drink and eat. It was good to relax and spend time together having had a few stressful, full-on weeks.



Friday night was race night for a change. We'd got four teams entered in the Whale Ale Relay at Stratford Recreation Ground; a Tempo Event. I was in a team with a very speedy and improving couple; Monica & Mat, and also Clare who you may recall was my running buddy at Manchester Marathon. Our team was "Four Pints of Ale and a Packet of Blister Plasters". It was all a bit of fun really, four legs of two miles each with our three other teams and the addition of celebrating Suz's 40th Birthday (we'd all worn Jack Daniels t-shirts in honour of her favourite tipple) with a few beers afterwards on a sunny evening. I found the two miles tough, having not had chance to warm up properly, but I basically just wanted to run under 8 minute miles and managed to achieve that. A great race though and one I would recommend!



Saturday's parkrun was looking like being a steady plod until I found myself running alongside Pauline who had also been at the previous evening's festivities. I figured that if Pauline was going for it then I could too! We had a good natured battle with Pauline leading initially and then me coming back towards the end and a close finish. I was pleased to go under 25 minutes yet again; all things considered it gives me confidence that with a few weeks of consistent training I could have a go at a PB soon.

Sunday's long run was a 10.5 mile yomp around the hills of South Birmingham from the Peacock out to Alvechurch. It was a drizzly start to the day but great company as ever and rounded off my first 30 mile week since marathon week!



No comments:

Post a Comment